The Rammifications of Thought


So what's on your mind?
 

Friday, January 19, 2007

Batu Talam: A youngster's dream?

I read in the newspaper the other day that a 21-year-old youngster is taking on the mighty BN in the Batu Talam by-election.

My, he must be the youngest candidate to have been nominated for the election. Sure he's got a daddy with much experience in politics...albeit that was during a time when he was probably still playing with Ultraman figures and all that.

I said probably because you never know what a politician's son might have to go through during his growing years. He might have been campaigning for his dad with a loudspeaker in one hand and a lollipop in the other, who knows.

Anyway, it's not that I envy this guy very much. I mean, he's 21. Just out of his teens, barely old enough to get into Uncle Lim's playground. It's sad to hear that at a tender age, he has to give up life's innocence and plunge into this black hole.

21-year-olds should be having fun out there. Getting degrees, partying all night long, falling in love, enjoy the freedom that they never had. I don't know about you, but when I was 21, I sure had a whole lot of other stuff on my mind rather than contemplating in a career in politics.

That said, I actually respect the guy for having the guts to register himself as a candidate. Not for a small political post in some forgotten party, mind you. If he's half as good as the seasoned campaigners, I'd say he already deserves a good pat on the back.

I just hope he garners enough votes to get his deposit back. But then, it's hard to rule out the underdog. Everyone loves an underdog, and we know that because Rocky is Sly's best film yet.

Disclaimer: I am in no way expressing the belief that I'm a supporter of the ruling party, or the opposition, or anything in between. May the best guy win.


---------------oOo---------------

© The Rammifications of Thought 2006 - 2007. Template by Caz.