The Rammifications of Thought


So what's on your mind?
 

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

2006 and beyond (personal)

Once again, it's post-Christmas and pre-New-Year season. Here comes the time to ponder our own doings and behaviours for the past year.

2006 has been an eventful year for me. I started the year on a low, my final year project being a thousand-tonne megaboulder that weighed my entire life down. My daily routine for those few weeks were limited to spending time in the lab labouring on what turned out to be not such a good result (no thanks to that egomaniac of a supervisor I had).

Being dogged by my supervisor for the past few months, it was a great relief to have finally presented my part and get done with the whole FYP thing. Again, I staunchly support the movement to abolish all final year projects to rid undergrads of their misery.

Then there was the migration from my old Friendster blog to Blogger. I'm glad it came through, seeing that Friendster blog now contains many ugly advertisements littered through most of the empty spaces. Might think of getting my own domain later on, but that's another story.

Coming back to post-FYP life, the end of the semester meant I had spent my last few weeks in the Skudai. After 5 years living there, I was a bit sad about leaving some of the old haunts. But life has to go on and we packed our bags and left in due time. Sayonara to JB.

After taking some time off for a graduation trip, I started work in the big city. This marked another chapter of my life as I say goodbye to academic life and move forward to corporate employment. After the thrill of having my first paychecks died down (and I discovered that the sum saved was petty), routine began to seep in.

No more leisurely trips to the supermarket during weekdays. No more afternoon naps after a late night out. Heck, there are practically no late night excursions anyway. Sometimes I do miss the time when we were students albeit living on a meagre allowance.

Convocation was the time when I had the chance to meet up with some of the old friends again. This event signaled the fullstop to my being a student. The graduation outfit, the packed halls, the photoalbums we took...all seem like a distant memory, but a lasting one nonetheless.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some have written about their new year resolutions, some about predictions of the events to come. Some reminisced about the events that occurred in the past few months, some yearn for the coming weeks in anticipation.

I look forward to the coming year. Politically-speaking, the next general election is likely to fall in 07's calendar and I will get to exercise my vote for the first time. Cynics would say the political scene will not alter much, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some positive change will come.

Career-wise, I'm maturing in the learning curve and will soon be seniors to new freshie engineers coming in. I'm determined to do my best in work to prove that the grades I got during uni days were not a farce.

On the personal side, I'm looking forward to trying new things that youth permits us to do. Having an exercise routine is definitely on my to-do list, and I can only hope that my schedule does not prevent me from carrying it out.

I might even get hitched. Permanently. Who knows? ;)

As I have said during the previous year, BRING IT ON!


---------------oOo---------------

© The Rammifications of Thought 2006 - 2007. Template by Caz.