The Rammifications of Thought


So what's on your mind?
 

Sunday, September 10, 2006

A guide to expletives

I'm going to shed the goody-two-shoes blog image for a while here. Kids, stay out.

Being brought up in a multi-cultural country sure has it perks. For one, our choice of vocabulary can range from our mother tongue to tons of other words from different languages and dialects.

But what's the fun in language without certain words or phrases to spice it up? Here are a few "language stimulators" from my daily dictionary that I'll be sharing with you.

Fuck - Pronounced as a short, distinct mono-syllable word, often as an exclamation. One of the most versatile swear words ever to be created. Used to express surprise or disbelief, usually in unfriendly circumstances. Also a way to express anger and hostility toward unbearable idiots or situations. Other known phrases include whatthefuck, fuckyou.

"Fuck! There's a police block up in front."

Diu - One of my early expletives picked up in primary school. Cantonese version of fuck, usage is similar to the situations described above. Often scattered in my conversations with hometown friends, and only limited to guys. Also used to express sarcasm and contempt.

"Who the hell does he think he is...diu!"

Niama - Another Cantonese classic, literally translated as 'your mother'. Usage can be quite subjective and covers a wide range of situations. Most often used when I'm extremely dissatisfied with someone, including morons behind wheels. Sometimes used with 'diu' as a prefix resulting in a longer, more insulting swear word that would piss anyone off.

"Niama...stay off the fast lane lane lah you turtle."

Mahai - Translated as 'your mother's private part' and often pronounced with emphasis on the second syllable. My personal favourite for the countless retards I encounter on the road everyday. Variations include 'machaohai'. Sometimes teamed together with previous two expressions to form...the ultimate swear phrase.

"Mahai...this fucktard just can't stop bugging me."

Cibai - Ah, a contribution from the Hokkien I believe. Personally, coming from a place where most people are Cantonese, I seldom use this expression. Being a lousy Hokkien speaker, I can only pride myself in pronouncing this word without flaw.

"Cibai kia!"

Well, isn't language a wonderful thing indeed?


---------------oOo---------------

© The Rammifications of Thought 2006 - 2007. Template by Caz.